- Event Start: 19th October 2017, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Would Abandon the Ideal of True Love
‘True Love’ remains sought after in modern relationships, perpetuated through its ubiquity in film and literature. This ideal is increasingly challenged by the rise of ‘hookup culture’ and a broadening of attitudes beyond stereotypical monogamous love. Is true love now an outdated relic of a bygone era, or does it still have a place in the modern world?
Speakers in Proposition:
- Simon Blackburn - A fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, he became prominent for popularising philosophy through his work on language and metaethics
- Amy Webb - Founder of the Future Today Institute, she is the award-winning author of three books, including 'Data: A Love Story', and is widely regarded as a futurist
Speakers in Opposition:
- Richard Cowles - The creator of Love Island, he claims that the show is a 'window into modern dating'. He also produced Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, and I'm A Celebrity....Get Me Out of Here!
- Charly Lester - The Founder and CEO of The Dating Awards and former Dating Editor for the Guardian, she is one of the world's leading industry experts on relationships
Prior to this debate, the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided later
With many thanks for the following who have generously donated floor prizes for the Main Debate: