- Event Start: 5th March 2020, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes That The UN Fuels An Illusion Of Global Cooperation
As the global community faces unprecedented challenges, from global warming to nuclear proliferation, the need for international cooperation has never been so clear. Is the United Nations capable of meeting these threats, or does it only provide empty promises.
SPEAKERS IN PROPOSITION:
- Dr Dore Gold : President of the Jerusalem Centre for Public Affairs. He was formerly an advisor to the Prime Minister of Isreal.
- Andrew Gilmour : United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights. He led the implementation of the UN Human Rights Up Front Initiative.
SPEAKERS IN OPPOSITION:
- Mark Lyall Grant, GCMQ : Former Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the United Nations. He also served at the United Kingdom's National Security Adviser.
- Ben Emmerson, QC : British Barrister, specialising in international and human rights law. He previously served as UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and Counter-Terrorism.
- Stephen Rapp : Former United States Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues under President Obama. He also served as Chief of Prosecutions of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
Prior to this debate, Officer Hustings will be held at 7.45pm in advance of tomorrow's Union Elections