- Event Start: 18th June 2020, 5:00pm
- Event Type:
India: A Failure of its Founding Fathers’ Vision?
72 years into its independence, is India continuing along the path of progress, or is it going backwards? Following a year of political turmoil, from secular violence to the revocation of the special status of Kashmir, does India live up to its founding principles? If not, does blame lie with its Hindu nationalist politicians, or with the constitution itself?
- Rajdeep Sardesai : Indian News Anchor and Author. He is the prime time host at the India Today Network, also serving as the Group’s Consulting editor
- Kanhaiya Kumar : Member of the National Executive Council of the Communist Party of India, who was at the forefront of the 2016 student protests in New Delhi
- Indira Jaising : Indian Lawyer, known for her human rights activism. She is co-founder of the Lawyers’ Collective, an NGO devoted to feminist and left-wing causes
- Harish Salve : Indian Lawyer, practicing as a senior advocate at the Supreme Court of India. He previously served as the Solicitor General of India
Our weekly debates have always been at the very heart of the Oxford Union and it has been our mission to take our members to the very frontlines of the great arguments of the day. This term will be no different as we strive to honour our commitment to public debate by showcasing a great and important diversity of opinions through the medium of podcast.
These debates will be structured like panel discussions and will be broadcast as a podcast on Spotify, Apple and Listen Notes Podcasts