Michaelmas 2020 Opening Times
We look forward to seeing you. However, to keep you safe, things have changed. Please read this notice and help keep everyone safe by adhering to it.
Great care has been taken preparing the Union with social distancing and safety precautions in place. A thorough cleaning system is in operation, with additional cleaning throughout the day. Occupancy levels have been reviewed and reduced to safe levels, and members are asked to please adhere to all safety notices as displayed. Sanitiser machines are available for your use, and your temperature will be taken at the door, and staff will advise on the reading. The Test & Trace QR system NHS COVID-19 is in place and must be used.
With the exception of the Members’ Bar, the Oxford Union will be open again as from Monday 5 October. The Members’ Bar will re-open Tuesday 6 October.
Of course, as with everywhere, there will be new customs and practices to adhere to. Please note the following:
- It is Union policy that face coverings must be worn in the Union at all times, with the exception of the Members’ Bar whilst seated only, unless you have an official exemption available from www.gov.co.uk
- The Frewin Court Gate will remain locked at present; access will only be via St Michael Street
- Please adhere to one-way systems where shown. These are for the protection of all members
- The Union is open Monday-Saturdays only, it will not open on Sunday
- The General Office will be open Monday-Friday 9.30am-5.30pm
- Temporary, course-length and other memberships should continue to be bought via the office; life memberships may be purchased online or via the office. Please note however, that only one customer is allowed in the office at any one time
STUDY SPACE & LIBRARY
- The Reading Rooms will remain closed to all (ie Goodman, Gladstone, Morris, Poetry & TV)
- Study space will only be available in the Old Library, and this will be by pre-booked timeslots only - please see https://www.oxford-union.org/library/bookreturns for details
- It is possible to borrow/return books without booking - please see https://www.oxford-union.org/library/bookreturns for full details on Library usage
- The Members’ Bar will be open Mondays-Saturdays from 10am. During 0th Week, it will close at 5.30pm, but from Monday of 1st Week it should be open until 9.45pm.
- The Bar will be table service only - we have an efficient new ordering system in place to use from your table via the camera on your mobile phone
- Bar lunches will still be available 11.30am-2.30pm, Monday-Friday
SPEAKER EVENTS & DEBATES
- Speaker and Debate events will be a mixture of physically in the Union and online - these will be specified in the termcard and on the website. Admittance to physical events will be by pre-registration on FIXR only - it will not be possible to gain admittance unless pre-registered
- Please adhere to the one-way system in the Chamber for the protection of all members
- Available seating will be marked - please respect it and ensure that only ‘permitted’ marked seats are used