- Event Start: 8th February 2018, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes We Cannot Thrive Without Religion
Our increasingly secularised and consumerist society has chipped away at the importance traditionally placed on religion. Is there still a place for religion in our society, or would we be better off without it?
Speakers in Proposition:
- Seyran Ates : Founder of the first mixed-worship mosque in Germany, she has been a noted campaigner for women's and LGBTQ+ rights within Islam
- Prof Richard Swinburne : Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Oxford University, he is a notable advocate of philosophical arguments for the existence of God
- Yvonne Ridley : Captured by the Taliban, she subsequently converted to Islam and has been hailed as a 'celebrity in the Muslim World'
Speakers in Opposition:
- David Silverman : President of American Atheists, an organisation which advocates for the complete separation of church and state
- Jonathan Bartley : Co-Leader of the Green Party of England and Wales, and founder of Ekklesia, a think tank focusing on the role of religion in Britain
Prior to this debate, the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided at this week's Consultative Committee
With many thanks to the following who have generously donated floor prizes for this debate: