- Event Start: 7th February 2019, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes Thatcher Was A Hero For The Working Class
For better or worse, Margaret Thatcher undoubtedly transformed the lives of the British working class. She ruthlessly stared down the miners’ strike, but her Right to Buy scheme made home ownership possible for many, and she herself was the daughter of a greengrocer. Forty years since her first election victory, how should we view Thatcher’s impact on the working class?
Speakers in Proposition:
- Lord Michael Howard : Leader of the Conservative Party from 2003 to 2005, he held multiple Cabinet positions under Thatcher. Upon her death, he praised Thatcher for taking on the unions and "saving our country"
- Edwina Currie : Former Conservative MP who served as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health under Thatcher and admired her for havintg the "roots...of ordinary people"
Speakers in Opposition:
- Peter Tatchell : British human rights campaigner, he has denounced Thatcher for her anti-LGBT policies and her "divisive and destructive" political agenda
- Wayne David MP : Shadow Minister for Armed Forces & Defence Procurement, and former Parliamentary Private Secretary to Ed Miliband
Prior to this debate, the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided at this week's Consultative Committee
With many thanks to our Floor Prize sponsors: