- Event Start: 22nd January 2020, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Has Hope For The New Decade
In our first debate of the 2020s, we ask whether the future this new decade represents is one of progress and hope, or whether we are doomed to reproduce the faults of our past.
SPEAKERS IN PROPOSITION:
- Dustin Lance Black : Academy Award-winning screenwriter, director, and producer. Black is also a high profile activist for LGBTQ+ rights, and often highlights LGBTQ+ issues through his work.
- Jasmine O'Connor, OBE : CEO of Anti-Slavery International, the world's oldest human rights organisation. She was awarded an OBE for services to international human rights and development.
- Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock, MBE : Space Scientist and co-presenter of BBC documentary series, The Sky at Night. She received an MBE for services to science education.
SPEAKERS IN OPPOSITION:
- Roger Hallam : Environmental activist and co-founder of Extinction Rebellion. He is a contributor to This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook.
- Dr Wanda Wyporska : Executive Director at the Equality Trust, a national charity dedicated to reducing social and economic inequality in the United Kingdom.
- Richard Vague : Managing partner of Gabriel Investments, and Chairman of The Governor's Woods Foundation. He is the author of The Next Economic Disaster.
PLEASE NOTE THIS DEBATE IS ON WEDNESDAY
Prior to this debate, the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided at this Monday's Consultative Committee