- Event Start: 13th February 2020, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes That We Are The Architect Of Our Own Demise
For decades, advancing technology has been synonymous with societal progress. With data mining artificial intelligence, and tech empires increasingly raising concerns, however, is the technology allowing humanity to flourish, or threatening our demise?
SPEAKERS IN PROPOSITION:
- David Gilbert : Journalist specialising in technology and cybersecurity issues. He is currently working as a reporter for VICE news.
- Stephanie Hare : Researcher on technology and politics; author of a book on technology ethics that explores biometrics and other data and how they relate to privacy, civil liberties and human rights
SPEAKERS IN OPPOSITION:
- Lindsay Herbert : Global Chief Innovation Officer, IBM Garage GBS. She is the author of Digital Transformation, a business book about innovation.
- Prof Michael Wooldridge : Head of Department and Professor of Computer Science in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Oxford.
Prior to this debate, the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided at this Monday's Consultative Committee