- Event Start: 20th February 2020, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes That Feminism Cannot Be Capitalist
For years, feminism has pushed for the economic empowerment of women. Yet, as gender disparities persist, capitalism seems resistant to accommodating women. If the systen won't work for women, then, must women break the system?
SPEAKERS IN PROPOSITION:
- The Rt Hon. Lady Natalie Bennett : Leader of the Green Party, from 2012 to 2016. She is a former trustee of the Fawcett Society and founder of the Green Party women's group.
- Dr Nicole Aschoff : Sociologist and Writer. She is the author of The New Prophets of Capital, which challenges the assumptions of capitalist society.
SPEAKERS IN OPPOSITION:
- Kate Andrews : Economist Correspondent for The Spectator. She was previously Associate Director of the Institute of Economic Affairs, a free-market think tank.
- Deirdre McCloskey : Distinguished Professor of Economics, History, English, and Communications at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Her latest book, Why Liberalism Works, was published in 2019.
Prior to this debate, the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided at this week's Consultative Committee