- Event Start: 12th March 2020, 8:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes That The British Empire Is A National Disgrace
The British Empire left an indelible mark on British identity and the world at large. It is high time we have a reckoning with this imperial past, and ask whether it should be remembered with pride, or shame.
SPEAKERS IN PROPOSITION:
- The Rt Hon. Dame Jenny Shipley, DNZM : Former Prime Minister of New Zealand, serving from 1997 to 1999. She has since served as chair of Global Women NZ.
- Winnie Kiap CBE : Papua New Guinea High Commissioner to the United Kingdom. She was recognised with the Diplomat of the Year Award in 2018.
- Victor Banks : Premier of Anguilla, since 2015, and leader of the Anguilla United Front. Anguilla remains a British overseas territory.
SPEAKERS IN OPPOSITION :
- Lawrence James : English writer and popular historian. He is the author of numerous books about the British Empire.
- Dr Zareer Masani : Indian author and historian. He has written numerous popular books about Indian history, and the Raj.
Prior to this debate. the Emergency Debate will be held at 7.45pm on a motion to be decided at this Monday's Consultative Committee