- Event Start: 5th November 2020, 7:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes The Scientists Have Let The Public Down
We enter the winder uncertain as ever about if, how, and when the pandemic will end. Are politicians right to continue to blame scientific advice to combat the virus, or are scientists scapegoats for political failures?
Speakers in Proposition:
- Richard Horton : Editor-in-Chief of The Lancet, one of the world’s leading medical journals. He has been a vocal critic of the British government’s response to the pandemic
- Prof. John Dupre : Philosopher of science and Director of Egenis, the Centre for the Study of Life Sciences at the University of Exeter
Speakers in Opposition:
- Magdalena Skipper : Geneticist and editor-in-chief of the scientific journal Nature, one of the world’s most prestigious academic journals
- Sir David King : UK Government Chief Scientific Advisor from 2000 to 2007. He chairs the Independent SAGE group of scientists, which has criticised the government response to the pandemic
Due to Coronavirus restrictions, admittance to this debate will be strictly to those who have pre-registered for the event on FIXR. The debate will also be available online.