Class & Labour Debate
- Event Start: 3rd December 2020, 7:30pm
- Event Type:
This House Believes The Labour Party Has Turned Its Back On The Working Class
The Labour Party’s electoral hopes have long depended on the fragile alliance of so-called ‘Hampstead and Hull’. As the Party becomes more dominated by the London elite, and notions of class and identity change, is this founding coalition obsolete?
Speakers in Proposition:
- Darren McGarvey : Musician and social commentator, who performs under the stage name Loki. He received an Orwell Prize for his 2018 book Poverty Safari
- Yvette Williams MBE : Co-founder and coordinator of Justice4Grenfell. She is a founding member of Operation Black Vote
Speakers in Opposition:
- Alison McGovern MP : Labour MP for Wirral South. She serves as Chair of Progress, which represents the right of the Labour Party
- Prof. Cecile Wright : Academic and Labour activist, currently serving as Vice-Chair of Momentum
Due to Coronavirus restrictions, admittance to this debate will be strictly to those who have pre-registered for the event on FIXR. The debate will also be available online.